It was on the 27th of January 1877 that a group of Christian friends met in a house in nearby Silvester Road to pray. The result of that meeting was the birth of East Dulwich Tabernacle.
A church with a capacity for 350 was erected by 1882. The Lord’s people meeting at this placed rejoiced seeing souls seeking the Saviour with 37 baptised in one year and a membership of 85 in the years leading up to 1914.
A large Sunday School hall was added in 1928 and in 1937 the church suffered a set back when it was demolished due to a structural fault. In the summer of 1944, during the Second World War, an enemy bomb completely destroyed the Sunday School hall. For the next seven years, meetings of divine worship were conducted in a house. In 1951 a new chapel was built and this was extended in 1990 to the structure in existence today.
We thank the Lord that through the following years He has maintained His witness in the area. Though for a season the workers were few, what they lacked in numbers they made up for in faithfulness.
2012 marked the 135th anniversary of East Dulwich Tabernacle Baptist church. With a pastor installed, and the childrens’ Sunday School resumed, spiritual life again is flourishing at this historic site of Christian witness.
Will you join us?
'Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour'